Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Game crashes when I try to change system settings - Solved
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fleetp
Boatswain

36082 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Game crashes when I try to change system settings - Solved Reply with quote

This seems to happen to me about once a year or so. The game would crash when I tried to go to the 'change system settings' menu. This would happen both when I first started the program and from within an ongoing game.

The solution I found is to uninstall the game and reinstall it.
If someone else has encountered this problem and has a better solution, I'm anxious to learn what it is.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a tuff one but it sounds like reinstalling the game works. Is it when you go to the menu or when you try changing something? Did your game have the Config.ini inside the Documents My games folder when it was crashing? Don't know but sounds like something is either getting corrupted or deleted if reinstalling takes care of it.
fleetp
Boatswain

36082 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
That is a tuff one but it sounds like reinstalling the game works. Is it when you go to the menu or when you try changing something? Did your game have the Config.ini inside the Documents My games folder when it was crashing? Don't know but sounds like something is either getting corrupted or deleted if reinstalling takes care of it.

The crash happened when I tried to go to the menu.
The config.ini file is currently in the document/mygames/sidmeieirspirates! folder, so I assume that's where it was when the game crashed.
I'm guessing something got corrupted, I do a LOT of swapping custom folders.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I never put anything in the custom folders except the ships flags and sails that you can choose in the game menu. If you put all the flags in the customs folder then all of them will show up giving you a lot of digging to go through to change your ship sails in game. I would make a back up of the original customs folder if you already haven't and the next time it happens try swapping it back to the original folder instead of doing a reinstall. Another thing to try is a compatibility check. You can select it was working before and what windows your using and it might fix it. Look to see if you have a config.ini the next time it crashes since it seems to be working except when you go to the menu. If all else fails you can always cuss like a sailor, trash your computer, buy a new one and start life all over again. I'm not a expert working for Firaxis or Microsoft but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Smile
fleetp
Boatswain

36082 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that I've found a fix to the problem, I probably won't look for a different solution.
If someone else had the same problem and found a different solution I'd use it.
fleetp
Boatswain

36082 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished upgrading my desktop to Windows 10 and am encountering this problem again. Tomorrow I'll uninstall and re-install the game to see if that helps.

EDIT: Stayed up late, uninstalled and reinstalled SMP. I can now get to the in game system settings without crashing.
corsair91
Sailing Master

206441 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OS Version updates have been known to break already installed games
or apps. Check the release notes for any known issues.

(probably something like later files bundled with the game
overwritten by earlier OS files)

Windows OS Feature updates can also cause problems

Try the game and any failure to run, suggest uninstall Game,
reboot system and reinstall again

Check for any Game Graphics wrappers, Official Game updates
or 3rd party fixes, may also be useful, by say a Google search
(may take a while before these become available, if ever
for a new OS version)
Game Fan forums Faqs may also help for any known workarounds
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: