Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Revalue Retirement Occupations?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillyConnollyHeartAttack
Powder Monkey

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Revalue Retirement Occupations? Reply with quote

First off, let me just say this is a really amazing and talented community, and that it's so awesome to see people keeping this incredible game alive fifteen years down the line. I've downloaded dozens of mods from this site, and they've enhanced my enjoyment and immersion in this game so much more, so a huge thank you to everyone here for all your passion and hard work!

That being said, I know absolutely nothing about modding, so I probably won't be posting here all that often... Lost

Anyway, as far as I know, I'm the very first person to ask this, which leads me to believe it's going to sound pretty stupid. Regardless, it's always really bugged me that the score scaling for the retirement occupations basically renders 75% of them irrelevant. It just gets super boring to see governor, bishop, mayor (and MAYBE surgeon, if you really blow it) at the end of every game. The other jobs need love too! Sad

Surely there has to be some file I can edit to change the requisite fame for each of these occupations, but I can't seem to find it anywhere (I'm running the Steam version, if that makes any difference). If anyone could help point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it!
fleetp
Boatswain

36090 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Welcome to Hooked on Pirates! Smile

I'm unsure what you are requesting. Are you asking that the numerical values be changed, or are you asking that the names of the retirement occupations be changed (as in change Governor to Royal Advisor)?

Giving some example of what you want would help.

Very respectfully,
fleetp
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea I’ll retire as the Caribbean stud🤣. Sounds like a easy fix if all you want is the character you retire as changed. I don’t currently have the game installed.
Guardacostas
Gunner

10041 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means that unless you completely sink your game it's always 75% to 100% of a victory. Meaning your retirement occupation will always be the upper quarter and not the lower three quarters. That our mashing it around a bit depending on what you actually accomplished in your game, example found all the lost cities but left the named pirates alone or found all the treasures and everything else but couldn't quite take out montabalm. Or unmarried pirate but rich and with acres of land. Am I right OP?
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case what needs modded if your game is 75 or above your in the upper elite? Sounds like the ranking system is spot on surly you wouldn’t want to be a beggar after doing your A game nor would I expect you want to be Mr.Universe if you couldn’t whip yourself out of wet paper bag.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might be able to change character or text but changing the real values in the game might could be done by someone like Adammill. He has a website located somewhere but as to him being interested in doing it I haven’t a clue but I wouldn’t put a lot of hope in on it just to be on the safe side.
corsair91
Sailing Master

206653 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAQ / STRATEGY GUIDE
Author: Sashanan
Date: 12 May 2008
Version: 1.5

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/915017-sid-meiers-pirates/faqs/3414

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
[7.8] RETIREMENT JOBS
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Your job when you retire is determined solely by how many fame points you have
earned. It is a direct representation of how well you did as a pirate. Here is
a list of jobs and the range your fame needs to be in to get this specific job.

The list has been updated and appears to be fully accurate now. All previous
cases of conflicting information have been checked and confirmed. I see one
oddity in that the fame range for a Magistrate is smaller than that for the
lower ranking Fencing Master, which happens nowhere else, so there may be an
inaccuracy left in there. If you get a result that contradicts this table, I'd
appreciate an e-mail with a screenshot of your final results screen.

JOB FAME RANGE

Pickpocket 0
Pauper 1
Clerk 2
Fisherman 3-4
Mortician 5-7
Bartender 8-10
Constable 11-14
Butler 15-19
Farmer 20-24
Parson 25-30
Merchant 31-37
Innkeeper 38-44
Shipwright 45-52
Fencing Master 53-61
Magistrate 62-69
Surgeon 70-78
Mayor 79-91
Bishop 92-102
Governor 103-126

A little blurb of text on the retirement screen also changes depending on the
success of your career. It is possible to get all 126 fame points and still not
have the best possible outcome: namely, by getting the full map to rescue your
grandfather, but not actually rescuing him.

For a comparison of Pirates (1987) retirement jobs against Pirates (2004)
see here
https://sidmeierspirates.fandom.com/wiki/Retirement_Job

montage picture of all Pirate (2004) Retirement Jobs
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/052/398/e83
BillyConnollyHeartAttack
Powder Monkey

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
JOB FAME RANGE

Pickpocket 0
Pauper 1
Clerk 2
Fisherman 3-4
Mortician 5-7
Bartender 8-10
Constable 11-14
Butler 15-19
Farmer 20-24
Parson 25-30
Merchant 31-37
Innkeeper 38-44
Shipwright 45-52
Fencing Master 53-61
Magistrate 62-69
Surgeon 70-78
Mayor 79-91
Bishop 92-102
Governor 103-126

What I am asking is if there is a way to change these values so that the requisite fame for each occupation is distributed more appropriately. For instance, there is way too much margin for error to obtain the governor rank (23 points??), while at the same time, who the heck would ever naturally finish their game with only three or four fame points?

I know it's basically a nitpick, but it just annoys me how devalued the top three ranks are, and how all the other ranks might as well not even exist.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you rate them starting from pickpocket to Governor?
BillyConnollyHeartAttack
Powder Monkey

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as specific values, I haven’t thought that far ahead lol. But as a rule I would try to have the middling occupations result the most frequently. Nothing fancy.

There are 126 points to distribute among 19 ranks, so that’s roughly 6.5 points for each rank. Since the parson and merchant fall square in the middle, let’s say their respective ranges would be split evenly, either side of a median score of 63. So to end the game as a parson, you would have to achieve a fame score of, let’s say, 50-63 points, and to finish as a merchant you would have to achieve 64-77 points. The next two occupations in either direction would have slightly smaller windows (9-10 points). The six above/below average occupations would be separated by a standard “share” of points (6-7), and then the six highest/lowest occupations would have a margin of about half a share (3-4). For the sake of completionists, the rank of governor could be a perfect score of 126.

Basically, just something akin to a bell curve, iirc. I haven’t done statistics/probabilities in a long time, heh... Rolling Eyes Obviously, this is just a general concept, and I am open to suggestions and criticisms.
BillyConnollyHeartAttack
Powder Monkey

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think he means that unless you completely sink your game it's always 75% to 100% of a victory. Meaning your retirement occupation will always be the upper quarter and not the lower three quarters. That our mashing it around a bit depending on what you actually accomplished in your game, example found all the lost cities but left the named pirates alone or found all the treasures and everything else but couldn't quite take out montabalm. Or unmarried pirate but rich and with acres of land. Am I right OP?

Yes, Guardacostas, you are exactly right!

Quote:
Thanks for the idea I’ll retire as the Caribbean stud🤣. Sounds like a easy fix if all you want is the character you retire as changed. I don’t currently have the game installed.

Actually, adding in some additional occupations would be a nice little way to add some extra flavor to the game! Very Happy
corsair91
Sailing Master

206653 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirates! (1987) Retirement Job

In Pirates! (1987), the "maximum score" with which your exploits are compared is 100 Pirate Points. However, you can end up scoring less than 0 points, or more than 100 points, depending on your achievements.

Profession Pirate Points Required

King's Advisor 95 and upwards
Governor 90 - 94
Lt. Governor 85 - 89
Fleet Admiral 80 - 84
Rich Banker 75 - 79
Plantation Owner 70 - 74
Wealthy Merchant 65 - 69
General 60 - 64
Sugar Planter 55 - 59
Merchant Captain 50 - 54
Councilmember 45 - 49
Colonel 40 - 44
Shop Owner 35 - 39
Major 30 - 34
Tavernkeeper 25 - 29
Sailing Master 20 - 24
Sergeant 15 - 19
Bartender 10 - 14
Sailor 5 - 9
Farm Hand 0 - 4
Rogue (-9) - (-1)
Scoundrel (-19) - (-10)
Pauper (-29) - (-20)
Beggar -30 or less
fleetp
Boatswain

36090 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering what the 'achievements' were in the 1984 version, perhaps intercepting the silver train or sacking Panama.

Anyway, here's a possible points - retirement redistribution scheme for the 2004 version.
Pickpocket 0 - 7
Pauper 8 - 13
Clerk 14-20
Fisherman 21-27
Mortician 28-34
Bartender 35-41
Constable 42-49
Butler 50-56
Farmer 57-64
Parson 65-71
Merchant 72-78
Innkeeper 79-85
Shipwright 86-91
Fencing Master 92-99
Magistrate 100-106
Surgeon 107- 114
Mayor 115- 121
Bishop 122-124
Governor 125-126
Guardacostas
Gunner

10041 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can even say pick pocket is 0 to 30, pauper is 31 to 45 and when you start getting high each rank can have just one or two points, to make it a real challenge the upper ranks.
fleetp
Boatswain

36090 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardacostas wrote:
You can even say pick pocket is 0 to 30, pauper is 31 to 45 and when you start getting high each rank can have just one or two points, to make it a real challenge the upper ranks.

I like your idea better than what I suggested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: