Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

My next game
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: My next game Reply with quote

I have never played Spanish, 1680. Think I'll try that one. I should see Ships of the Line in in this game!
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHy do you say you will see ships of the line?
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a lot more common later in the years. After 1680 much more so. I will attack ships around the English and French wealthy cities.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished all the mandatory and nice stuff in the game - all four relatives, all nine pirates, all nine treasures and all four lost cities plus made Duke all four countries,. So, I am. hanging around the West Indies harassing the English. St Kitts and Nevis are only Prosperous but Antigua is wealthy, I ran a lot of missions for the Dutch and French to stir things up. Then I went after non-economic targets of the English, did not want to hurt their economy enough to make Antigua lose its' Wealthy status. Really got the English mad at me - over 20K in reward money.,

So, they really start sending out Pirate Hunters, first Sloops of War, then Brigs, the Brigs of War, the Frigates, then Large Frigates. Finally, I saw a Frigate heading towards Antigua with and even larger Frigate in tow. Sure enough, it is Ship of the Line! Got him! First SOTL in many years for me. Think I will try to get some more!

I played a game a LONG time ago where I just kept on playing until my Pirate hit 80 years old. I finished with EIGHT SHIPS OF THE LINE. Yes, I had an entire armada of SOTLs. That a Was fun!
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a SOL in last game but did not get it til 8 years in then retired not much after that. Now I am 3 years in and just beat monty, that is the quickest for me to date!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished my game and learned something new! After beating up the English to earn land from France and the Dutch, I was nearing retirement time and had a bounty on my head of 40K from the English. Earlier, I had married the beautiful daughter of Port Royal so I thought that just would not be right for her to remain married to a wanted man.

After visiting half a dozen Jesuit Missions, they just could not get amnesty for me. I had to do something else.

Well, I was approaching St, Augustine and had a large force of 290 men late in the game just in case I wanted to conquer and convert a city. The Spanish and English had a Peace Treaty but I wondered if my 40K reward would be eliminated if I took over St. Augustine and installed an English Lord. So, I attacked the 220 men at St Augustine and after two battles I installed an English Lord. They thanked me for installing an English Lord but said they were officially unhappy with me sacking the Spanish City twice.

When I checked my personal stats, I no longer had a price on my head! It was just like amnesty, I sailed over to Grand Bahama to see if they would let me in, Sure enough! I was welcome as a Duke again, all was forgiven! So, I sailed over to Havana, capturing one more Spanish Treasure Galleon along the way, and retired there. I had sold my Ship of the Line in Grand Bahama. I retired as Governor with 126 points! Not bad for playing as an Adventurer!
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you attack an enemy your bounty goes down, but I have installed an english governor and then still not been OK with them but then I do get an offer by that governor for a price. Same if you take one over.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 40K bounty on my head. England and Spain had a peace treaty going. I attacked St. Augustine and coverted it to English with an English Lord. Then I sailed away and checked my personal page and the bounty was gone. So, I sailed into Grand Bahama and they were happy to see me. I can re-load the game and attack the French or Dutch and install an English Lord, then see what happens. It would be interesting,
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot to mention this.....
This game since I picked Spanish I figured it might be a good idea to go with Wit and Charm as my special skill. Boy was I right! I was able to dance with the beautiful daughters early. Since I am a pretty good dancer, I was able to launch Monty and then go find more beauties to dance with,. When I got the dip from them I got Lost City map pieces. I was able to find TWO lost cities worth 100K in gold and this helped me put together a large army to attack Monty's hideout. While searching for the first Lost City, I found where Monty's hideout was. So, I sailed all the way around the map taking out all the named pirates and raised so much gold that I had an army of 293 pirates, one of the biggest armies I ever had. It was easy to take out the Indian Mercenaries.

So, when playing Spanish, go with Wit and Charm every time, it is VALUABLE!!!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to reload the Spanish 1680 game and go attack a French or Dutch city, install an English Lord and see if my 40K bounty by the English goes away.

Then, I will install fleetp's modded SMP.exe file and start playing a game using Bryce777's strategy of dividing the plunder soon as I find Monty's Hideout and see if I can raise about a 350 man Army to knock it off.

Will report my results here.....
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, had a big bounty on my head from the English. England was a war with France. So I attacked a French city (Leogane) and installed an English Lord and bingo, no more bounty on my head from England. Conquering a city and installing a Governor earns you amnesty/forgiveness from the country that you give the city to.
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't go away it will just go down. If your bounty was only 10k or so then sacking a city will be enough to bring it to zero but you can't make a large bounty go away by installing a new mayor.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryce, I tried your "Divide the Plunder and get Monty" strategy and it works!!! Playing English 1660 with fleetp's new modded game I was able to chase down Monty two times and then figure out where his hideout was after two pieces and only 3 years into the game. Once I reckoned his hideout I sailed into Puerto Bello and Divided the Plunder.

Then I started out again and knocked off Captain Kidd for his big Brig of War and went to a bunch of cities and pirate havens and quickly got 310 men. Then I sailed over to Monty's hideout and easily beat his Indian Mercenaries and got Monty too. The hardest part was keeping 310 men fed!!! Nice going, thanks!!!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryce777 wrote:
When you attack an enemy your bounty goes down, but I have installed an english governor and then still not been OK with them but then I do get an offer by that governor for a price. Same if you take one over.

I tried it again, took over a French City, installed an English Governor and then sailed to another English city. I was welcomed with open arms. I think when Bounty goes to zero all is well and you are welcome.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished my current game of English 1660, Wit and Charm. I used this game to try bryce777's strategy of "Find Monty's hideout, divide the plunder, recruit a big army and take him out early". It worked perfectly, took a lot of stress off the game. By choosing Wit and Charm it helped find Monty earlier. Both steps compliment each other.

This game had a tough Lost city (SE of Villa Hermosa with no landmarks) and a tough Pirate Treasure piece (N of Grand Granada, no landmarks). I found them both but it was a little frustrating.

I captured a Pinnace very early in the game and used it the whole game. I retired at age 33 but missed out on one wealth point. Would have had to play another two years to get the last wealth point and it did not seem worth it. I played this game at Adventurer level so it was harder to get all the wealth points.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: