Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

various clothes and outfits
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Korvessa
Powder Monkey

143 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:27 am    Post subject: various clothes and outfits Reply with quote

Bee playing the game off & on for a couple of decades - but new to the forum.
I usually lay on Wii at middle levels (old & slow)

Is it ever worth it to buy the various clothing items?
I almost never do, but it often seems like I don't get the things I need until after I no longer need them.

Part of me thinks that if I buy them, it will increase the likelihood of getting something better next time. Part of me thinks it is a huge waste of dough
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korvessa,
Welcome to Hooked on Pirates! We have been here since 2003 and you have come to the right place to ask questions. Glad you have been playing Pirates for a long time, so have we!

Clothing items - the Puffy Shirt and Silk shirt are very important. They increase your dueling speed and help you defeat Marquis Montalbahn and the Jealous Suitor to the Beautiful Daughter. The way to get these items is by dancing with Attractive Daughters. When you successfully dance with them they will give you a gift and it s very frequently the Shirts.

Two other clothing items are the Calfskin Boots and Dancing Slippers. These items improve your dancing skill and are very important. They only way to get these items is by paying a lot of gold to buy them from the Mysterious Stranger in the Tavern. He only offers them to you once or twice a game. The other way to get them is by capturing a wanted criminal. Sometimes they offer you items if you do not turn them in. When they offer you the Dancing Slippers, Calfskin Boots, Medicinal Herbs or Incan Salve, take it. Otherwise, turn the criminal in for money and promotion points.

Are there other clothing items in the game? Usually you can get items from the Attractive Daughters, or from a Plain Daughter if you dance perfectly with them.
Korvessa
Powder Monkey

143 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I played it 1st in 1988.
I am aware of the things you mentioned (plus the 2 special hats)
Although in my current game I have been playing for like 20 years, have long since beaten Monty - but haven't seen a sniff of either fencing shirt or dancing shoes.

I am talking about the various red, blue, orange, purple yellow stuff.
Tuxedos, doublets, clown suits and the like.
corsair91
Sailing Master

210955 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These links cover the PC Version of the game but some info
also applys to the wii 2010 port of 2004 PC game version.

Tuxedos and Clown Suits are not in the PC game version,
as the PC version has no ingame player customization
(unless by 3rd party mods changing textures).
Also No Captain's cabin in the PC game version.

FAQ/Strategy Guide by Sashanan
http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7907

Wii game manuals not included with the retail Wii game also
available in this thread

Sid Meier's Pirates! wiki
https://sidmeierspirates.fandom.com/wiki/Sid_Meier%27s_Pirates!_Wiki
https://sidmeierspirates.fandom.com/wiki/Sid_Meier%27s_Pirates!_(2004)

https://sidmeierspirates.fandom.com/wiki/Special_Item

wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier%27s_Pirates!_(2004_video_game)

May need to paste links into your browser

Last edited by corsair91 on Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:12 pm; edited 5 times in total
corsair91
Sailing Master

210955 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid Meier's Pirates! (WP) Walkthrough

(WP) apparently is windows Phone

https://www.trueachievements.com/game/Sid-Meiers-Pirates/walkthrough

https://www.trueachievements.com/game/Sid-Meiers-Pirates/walkthrough/2

Special Items

First and foremost: Even if you aren't planning on seducing the ladies any time soon, always carry a Ruby Ring on your person! When the mysterious stranger shows up and starts selling items, he will only sell you an item that you don't currently have. If you don't have a Ruby Ring, the game all but defaults to it. This keeps you from getting the nicer and rarer items.

There are three ways to get items. The most common is to pay the mysterious traveler when he has a useful item. The two rarer circumstances are dancing and fugitive criminals. When completing a dance with a near perfect rating, the daughter will sometimes offer a choice of items. Alternately, if you have a quest to track down a fugitive criminal, he may offer a special item to let him go free instead of the gold reward.

Here's a list of special items, with the more useful items at the top.

Set of Balanced Swords / Set of Perfectly Balanced Swords - Crucial item, these increase your attack speed in a duel. Get them as soon as you can.

Three-Stringed Fiddle / Concertina - Crucial item, this improves crew morale.

Medicinal Herbs / Incan Mystic Salve - Crucial item, this improves your lifespan.

One Shot Pistol / Brace of Pistols - Highly recommended, this gives you an advantage at the beginning of a duel by adding one fewer successful hit needed per item to win.

Leather Vest / Metal Cuirass - Recommended, this gives a percentage chance to have an enemy thrust deflect away from you, essentially saving from the hit.

Weather Glass / Precision Barometer - Nice to have, this item reduces the damage you take from sailing in a storm. On lower difficulty levels, this is pretty minimal damage to begin with.

French Chapeau / Ostrich Feather Hat - Take it or leave it, this lowers the requirement for being invited to the ball. A French Chapeau means you do not need to be a Colonel to dance with an attractive daughter, and an Ostrich Feather Hat means you don't have to be a Baron for a beauty. Potentially useful from as Ostrich Feather Hat, but the French Chapeau is all but useless.

Fencing Shirt / Silk Fencing Shirt - Take it or leave it, this improves defensive speed in a duel. Potentially useful against Marquis de la Montalban on Rogue, but otherwise useless.

Calfskin Boots / Dancing Slippers - Take it or leave it, this affects stumbling in a dance and lowers the penalty for bad steps. Useful if you have trouble with the dancing minigame, completely irrelevant otherwise.

Dutch Rutter / Spanish Rutter - Take it or leave it, this item reveals more settlements and villages on the map without sailing by them. Generally not needed and particularly expensive anyway.

False Mustache / Theatrical Disguise - All but useless, this item helps trade with Spanish ports who otherwise wouldn't trade with you. This is easily solved by getting on Spain's good side and does nothing to help you get into the port in the first place if there's a price on your head.

Signalling Mirror / Signal Flare - Useless, these items reduce the amount of time it takes to rescue you when you're marooned. If that happens, reload your save. Done.

Golden Cross / Sacred Relic - Useless, these items improve Jesuit relations. I have never seen the Jesuits refuse to talk to me.

Shrunken Head / Carved Shaman Staff - Useless, these items improve Indian relations. Like above, I have never seen the Indians refuse to talk to me.

Last edited by corsair91 on Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm redoing the special items. Actually been working the last couple days. So far I have Wampum belt. Thundersticks, POTC Guitar, Playboy magizine, medical marijuana, condoms. Gonna do the shroud of Turin, crown of thorns, Air Jordan's, monthly allowance by western Union, engagement ring etc. Opps almost forgot I have fake passport and ladyboy disguise to get into enemy towns with already done.
Korvessa
Powder Monkey

143 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clothes I am asking about are not special items I know about those
They only appear in captain's cabin and look to be cosmetic only
But I am not positive
They appear to be useless.
corsair91
Sailing Master

210955 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wii SM Pirates Gameplay showing the Wii Captain's Chamber

Sid Meier's Pirates! | Dolphin Emulator 4.0.1 [1080p HD] | Nintendo Wii
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHRteQ0sr8Y

Dec 5, 2013
runtime 16:04

Sid Meier's Pirates! Nintendo Wii using Dolphin 4.0.1 Emulator
Showing off gameplay of Sid Meier's Pirates! for the Nintendo Wii using the Dolphin Wii / Gamecube emulator for Windows (version 4.0.1).

About

5:05 Player Customisation Options & then Ship Custom Options

10:35 Captain's Chamber
https://youtu.be/kHRteQ0sr8Y?t=638

Sid Meier's Pirates for Wii - Attacking a Town
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVs7wpvl16g

Wii Mini-bombardment game gameplay
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: