Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

City xy coordinates
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 70% of the servers that constitute "the cloud" located in or near Ashburn, Virginia, one well placed EMP could wipe out most of the data on the internet.

But who remembers how to build a wooden ship? It would take a while to build a post-industrial world. By that point global warming would no longer be happening. So it's hard to see how these two premises - a warm Arctic and wooden ships - go together.

Also, in the polar region you would still have the problem of a long, dark winter.

Perhaps the thing that triggered the collapse of the industrial economy also changed the earth's orientation, leaving the Arctic in the tropics.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14671 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Aren't the poles supposed to switch at some point anyway, maybe this is some kind of in-between phase. And climate change is a natural process as well (just heavily accelerated by humans), so the arctic warming may be somewhat inevitable - there have been warmer periods in history, such as the 1500s, allowing for sailors to explore areas that later became frozen for too many months of the year
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The magnetic poles switch sometimes, but the axis of rotation does not change - although the orientation of the axis does change slightly - the so-called precession of the axis.

The earth undergoes a number of astronomical cycles that contribute to climate variation. Taken together, they are known as Milankovitch cycles:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I’m done modding for awhile until I can snap out of it. No use trying anything right now I’m in no shape for it. I do have ideas though since y’all like moving cities around . Be neat to if you could alter the land masses around just enough to make a fictional setting doesn’t really have to be a active map. Then you know that to have treasure fleets the Spanish must occupy certain slots or they won’t exist. Even you could swap cities locations in the current map and reroute the treasure fleets. Much has been accomplished over a short amount of time. Thanks to Fleetp the Modal Citizen and of course myself at least somewhat the game still gets attention. Hopefully the daughter mod won’t be my last but who can be for sure at this point. Anyway I’ll probably hang around still checking on everything. Gonna try not to put my personal problems up. I’ll just soak it all in myself. I’m always here to help so don’t be afraid to ask anything if I can help out with anything about the game or anything else I’ll do it. I think I’m gonna go for a walk. Maybe do like Forrest Gump go running and stay running . Hopefully the mod with the Wild Women is working okay. All feedback seems positive at this point. Feel free to do whatever with it.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14671 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just by mucking around with landscape.ini I think you could move specific landmasses like islands around in the Caribbean. Mainland might be hardwired unless you can mod like jlangsdo
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m just throwing out ideas. If that is something you would like try doing then go for it but if it isn’t I wouldn’t do it.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called my folks back east and told them whats going on and they seem ready to help so I feel better now. Something gonna happen soon and im glad,
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14671 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done mate, talking to someone is always a good step. Gonna take a big road trip east? Smile
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might fly. I always have a home there because my folks are good people. I’m just afraid folks here be wanting to go too or keep me from going. Gotta Scheme up a plan
fleetp
Boatswain

36187 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking the X-Y coordinate code for cities

The cityloc.data file contains the locations of the cities. The number of the city corresponds to the number of the city in the citynames_enu.txt file. For example, Antigua is the first city in the citynames_enu.txt file; it is also the first city in the cityloc.dta file. When the cityloc.dta file is viewed in a hex editor program, the first eight sets of characters identify the city's XY coordinates.
By way of example, for Antigua, those sets of characters are 11 6B 06 00 08 C9 01 00.
The first four sets of characters 11 6B 06 00 are the city's X coordinates, and
08 C9 01 00 are the city's Y coordinates. The other characters deal with which direction the port faces and which direction ships sail when they leave the city, but I digress.

I wanted to move the city of Panama to the approximate location of Panama City, Florida. I started a game session of SMP, and sailed to that area, landed the crew there, saved and closed the game.

Using the perl saved game editor, I found the XY coordinates of that spot. X was 168, and Y was 255.
Intro_1 : V4 : 168 : You are here x
Intro_2 : V4 : 255 : You are here y

Other members of SMP (slserpent and jlangsdo) had said the hex values are little endian, and that the X and Y coordinates are actually six digits long (X=168125, Y= 255125).
Using an on-line decimal to hexadecimal converter the X value 168125 converted to 290BD, and the Y value 255125 converted to 3E495.

These hex numbers are the Big Endian numbers, so I had to change them to little endian.
Since the X hex location is a set of four, the full big endian number is 00 02 90 BD. Changing this to little endian gives BD 90 02 00.
Likewise the Y hex location is a set of four, the full big endian number is 00 03 E4 95.
Changing this to little endian gives 95 E4 03 00.

Panama is the 24th city in the citynames_enu.txt file. Using my hex editor, I counted down 24 lines. The XY location of Panama is 7C 80 03 00 42 72 00 00.
I changed that part of the line to BD 90 02 00 95 E4 03 00 and saved the cityloc.dta file.

Using pirates' mod structure technique, I created a folder named mods in the SMP assets folder. Inside the mods folder I created a folder named panama and placed my modified cityloc.dta file there.

I started a new game and sailed to the area where Panama City Florida would be, and my relocated city of Panama was there.
Smile

Last edited by fleetp on Wed May 26, 2021 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job. Now if you can do the math for me and help move the barmaid to my living room i promise not to tell the wife you did it.
fleetp
Boatswain

36187 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
Good job. Now if you can do the math for me and help move the barmaid to my living room i promise not to tell the wife you did it.

You're on your own for that; the barmaid won't stay in one place long enough. She keeps going to the back room to hit villains with a rum bottle.
corsair91
Sailing Master

208103 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"hit villains with a rum bottle" is the least of your worries.

It is what she does later with your doubloons or pantaloons.
or marking a clown face on your sleeping kisser with charcoal!

Smile
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14671 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to get at that string for the angle of city name? I'd like to make them diagonal like in the OG game, to fix issues like this that occur on the highest map zoom when cities are so close together:

Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all else fails you can rewrite the names on the map yourself. I wouldn’t know how to make em write this way and that so they don’t run together but the problem areas are gonna be cities located near each other and especially those with lengthy names. Just rewrite on the map somewhere that doesn’t get obscured by the jumbled names the game printed and you should know what city is what. I know that’s not what you wanted to hear but it might work for most people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: