Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Abouth add new cities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xerxer
Powder Monkey

104 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Abouth add new cities Reply with quote

I want to add some cities to Gulf Coast

Is it psosible? And How?

Thank you.
fleetp
Boatswain

36087 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 'easier' to move existing cities than it is to add 'new' cities. I think one of our members already created a mod that moves cities to the Gulf Coast, but I can't find it at the moment.

Here's a link to a mod I made that moves Puerto Principe to the area of New Orleans. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gPHiF_uYQUqTMm7Dat2wecPRvLOn_uxW/view?usp=sharing

There is a thread on city location editing, here's the link. http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forwarder.html?http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5709

Here's the technique I used to moved the existing city of St. Eustacius to the coast of South America.

Moving St Eustatius to new location and renaming "Paramaribo"

After working on this for several days, I decided that what I did is 'good enough, since it is not totally accurate. For example, the real Paramaribo is much farther to the east.
Here's how I made the mod.

This assumes you have already used fpkpacker or pakbuild to extract all of the compressed files from the files with fpk extensions.

Create a new folder for the mod..

Find the text.ini file and copy it to the new folder. In that file replace St. Eustatius with Paramaribo. Save and copy the text.ini file into the Assets folder in your Sid Meier's Pirates! folder.

Find the citynames_enu.txt file and copy it to the new folder.

In the new folder, open the citynames_enu.txt file.

Find St. Eustatius, and replace it with Paramaribo. Note that the new city name is the 38th on the list. Save the citynames_enu.txt file.

Find the cityloc.dta file and copy it to the new folder.

Use a hex editor to open the cityloc.dta file in the new folder.

Count down the number of line. The 38th line should be
E3 48 06 00 42 E9 01 00 66 66 66 86 66 66 66 66.

This line represents the original game information for St. Eustatius.

The first 8 entries for each line in cityloc.dta (for St. Eustatius, it's E3 48 06 00 42 E9 01 00) represent the city's location.

The second 4 entries for each line in cityloc.dta (for St. Eustatius, it's 42 E9 01 00) represent the city's location on the vertical y axis.

We'll use the y coordinate for Nombre de Dios for our relocated city. Opening up the citynames_enu.txt file we see that Nombre de Dios is the 23rd name on the list.

In the cityloc.dta file, the 23rd line is
6F 97 03 00 3B 88 00 00 CC CC CC 0C CC CC CC EC.

3B 88 00 00 should be the city's location on the horizontal y axis, so we overwrite the second four entries of the St. Eustatius line with the Nombre de Dios y coordinates.

Our revised St. Eustatius/Paramaribo line should now read
E3 48 06 00 3B 88 00 00 66 66 66 86 66 66 66 66.

I'm going to try using the Trinidad X coordinate. Trinidad is the 42nd city on the list. The x coordinates should be FD 97 06 00

We'll over-write E3 48 06 00 from our revised St. Eustatius/Paramaribo line with FD 97 06 00.

Our revised St. Eustatius/Paramaribo line should read
FD 97 06 00 3B 88 00 00 66 66 66 86 66 66 66 66

Save and close the cityloc.dta and citynames_enu.txt files.
Copy those files into the custom folder in your Sid Meier's Pirates! folder.

When I tested the mod I noticed that a ship was spawned in Paramaribo, and it started sailing south. Regarding the cityloc.dta file, themodelcitizen postedthis, "I think someone established that the next 4 after that are for port orientation, and I believe the last 4 are for the fort. So if you're creating an east-facing port, you can copy that part from an existing east-facing city."

We'll apply that logic to a city facing north. Looking at the game, Nombre de Dios might be a good candidate. Let's try re-orienting the fort at the same time.
Nombre de Dios is the 23rd name on the list.

In the cityloc.dta file, the 23rd line is
6F 97 03 00 3B 88 00 00 CC CC CC 0C CC CC CC EC.

Substituting the last 8 character pairs makes our St. Eustatius/Paramaribo line
FD 97 06 00 3B 88 00 00 CC CC CC 0C CC CC CC EC

During an in-game test, a ship departing from St. Eustatius/Paramaribo starting sailing to the northeast, but disappeared before it reached the water's edge. However, I noticed an Indian canoe coming to attack, and it approached the city correctly. I decided that the mod is 'good enough, since it is not totally accurate. For example, the real Paramaribo is much farther to the east.

Save and close the cityloc.dta file. Copy it into the custom folder in your Sid Meier's Pirates! folder.

There is a thread on city location editing, here's the link. http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forwarder.html?http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5709[/url]
corsair91
Sailing Master

206645 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlangsdo, dogcigar and other modders did much of the early work on moving cities

This thread includes links to most of jlangsdo's threads
including moving cities

jlangsdo's mods - Release Threads Links
http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8206

(Jlangsdo moved Barbados, Bermuda and then
produced the East Indies mod, which has been further
modded by others - Parksbanyon, Pirate, fleetp, themodelcitizen et al).

EDIT:

Modders posts in Various Customization & Modding Forum Thread
Topics included bits of info as and when discovered.

Don't recall any complete Howto guide on Moving cities other than
what is spread across the various Threads.

Try the Forum Search Tool and see where that gets you.

--------------------

EDIT: from another thread

fleetp Quote:

The cityloc.data file contains the locations of the cities. The number of the city corresponds to the number of the city in the citynames_enu.txt file. For example, Antigua is the first city in the citynames_enu.txt file; it is also the first city in the cityloc.dta file. When the cityloc.dta file is viewed in a hex editor program, the first eight sets of characters identify the city's XY coordinates.
By way of example, for Antigua, those sets of characters are 11 6B 06 00 08 C9 01 00.

The first four sets of characters 11 6B 06 00 are the city's X coordinates, and
08 C9 01 00 are the city's Y coordinates. The other characters deal with which direction the port faces and which direction ships sail when they leave the city

Regarding the cityloc.dta file, themodelcitizen posted this, "I think someone established that the next 4 after that are for port orientation, and I believe the last 4 are for the fort. So if you're creating an east-facing port, you can copy that part from an existing east-facing city."

Last edited by corsair91 on Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:24 pm; edited 13 times in total
fleetp
Boatswain

36087 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlangsdo moved Coro to New Orleans using a saved game editor.
Here's a link to the specific thread.
http://hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=87042#87042
xerxer
Powder Monkey

104 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

firstly, Thank you for answers guys
Obviously I want a lot of new cities.

Still using ''new cities 2020'' mod created by jlangsdo

If hard to add new towns game, Can I move the Indian cities or Jesuit Misson village's and make a town?

[quote="fleetp"]Find the text.ini file and copy it to the new folder. In that file replace St. Eustatius with Paramaribo. Save and copy the text.ini file into the Assets folder in your Sid Meier's Pirates! folder.[/quote]

sorry but i didnt find city names in text.ini and Unfortunately I couldn't
fleetp
Boatswain

36087 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xerxer wrote:

If hard to add new towns game, Can I move the Indian cities or Jesuit Misson village's and make a town?

fleetp wrote:
Find the text.ini file and copy it to the new folder. In that file replace St. Eustatius with Paramaribo. Save and copy the text.ini file into the Assets folder in your Sid Meier's Pirates! folder.

sorry but i didnt find city names in text.ini and Unfortunately I couldn't

Yes, you can move the Indian villages and Jesuit missions using the same technique as moving the European settlements (not cities) by editing saved games. It is the same level of difficulty as adding new towns.
Editig a saved game involves using the perl save game editor, which works using a DOS command line. I found it much more difficult than using other methods to mod Pirates. You might not find it harder.

Any play though using the saved game as a starting point will have all of the other settlements in the same position as they are in that particular saved game. Any saved game will keep that era. I suspect that the location of Monty's hideout and the lost cities would also be unchanged (not verified).

Unfortunately, Regarding the text.ini file, there is not a block of text entitled city names.
St Eustatius appears in the line
"Value = Merchants of St. Eustatius usually offer high prices for goods and luxuries."
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot the number of possible cities but I think it’s about 44. You can move those around, change nationalities etc. but you can’t add any extra cities so the limit is the limit. Also if you change a city to Indian ownership the game will crash. Pirate works but it’s buggy and wasn’t intended to be owned by them. Like I said you can move the cities like St. Estatuis to Parmesan cheese factory but you can’t have both St Estrus and Italian Parmesan. Hope this makes sense.
fleetp
Boatswain

36087 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things to consider when moving cities by modifying the cityloc.dta file.

Does a village or Jesuit mission ever spawn where you want to put your moved city? I've noticed this sometimes at the site of the real city of Tampa, Florida.

What direction would departing ships sail where you want to put your moved city? If your proposed location is the site of New Orleans, you'll create additional work for yourself if you move a city that has spawned ship sailing in any direction other than south. This can be fixed, but it involves additional work. Example: Moving Nombre De Dios to New Orleans would have spawned ships sailing inland. Moving Grand Bahama to New Orleans would be a better choice.

Last edited by fleetp on Sat May 22, 2021 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
corsair91
Sailing Master

206645 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tampa in real life have a local Pirate Theme festival
and this is probably reflected in the Game as a Pirate Haven
location.

Further info on Tampa Real life Pirate Festival here:

Pirate havens in unusual places in SMP
http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7981

Fleetp made an excellent point about New Orleans & Ship sailing
direction needs to be south towards the Gulf.

Consider moving Cites that are located generally southerly
on say an island coast line. (with the sea further to the south).
Othrwise need to put a disclaimer that pirates were using
hovercraft sailing over land.

Smile
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14646 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Louisiana and Pensacola in my Bermuda mod
fleetp
Boatswain

36087 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a mod where I moved the Spanish city of Gibraltar to just north of Tampa Bay. I renamed the city as Tampa.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, when you create new cities from scratch, they do not have all the city features - particularly a governor. They have only the features you would find in a village or a pirate haven. The number of cities with a governor is limited by the game, and no known mod can change that. That's why you have to move existing cities, as opposed to creating new cities from scratch.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make the settlements into cities but you can’t sack it. The daughters are always plain in them too. I prefer only 44 cities and let the settlements have their spot too.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14646 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleetp wrote:
I'm using a mod where I moved the Spanish city of Gibraltar to just north of Tampa Bay. I renamed the city as Tampa.

When I added Pensacola (1680) and Louisiana (New Orleans) to the newer version of my Four Corners mod; I thought about others like Mobile, AB but the history doesn't line up as well.

xerxer wrote:

That was mine Smile although jlangsdo's work paved the way for a lot of modding. I was wondering about adding more cities in the empty spaces in cityloc and the executable, but not sure it would be stable, same with trying to manifest Europe or the Florida Channel slots as a physical location somewhere
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: