Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Trick or Treat
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the mod okay! I’d like to delete all my stuff off of my daughters laptop here soon. That way I can rest in piece knowing that nobody is gonna fire that thing up and see my junk.
corsair91
Sailing Master

210629 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead & clean off the laptop

Mod looks okay so far
fleetp
Boatswain

36041 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corsair91 wrote:
Go ahead & clean off the laptop

Mod looks okay so far

I concur.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay will do. I’m not sure if or when I might get back into modding again. To be perfectly honest it really isn’t worth it to me. I mean yeah I had some good laughs some overall fun doing it but also there were times things that weren’t going the way I wanted or the work was lots of boring over and over time consuming work that I knew what I was doing but renaming over a hundred files isn’t a lot of fun but it’s a big part of the job. To me going through all that then nobody even plays it or provides any feedback on it kinda makes you wonder why did I do this for to start with. Why didn’t I hang my hat up along with the other modders of the past. Some of that is I probably was in Microsoft Flight Combat simulation modding back in the glory days of SMP so I wasn’t here. I came along most modders had quit and I did see some of the greatest achievements like the East Indies getting built and the legs mods for the female characters but SMP wasn’t exactly in its heyday when those arrived. I was late getting here. Things have changed a lot but it’s definitely getting smaller and smaller here. Seems like when it’s about done with somebody comes along wanting to breathe new life in the game so I’m impressed with that but how long will it last. Nothing lasts forever and this place isn’t a exception though it did exceed expectations. Any way I want to close by saying I appreciate those I’ve talked to here and those who created wonderful mods I enjoyed and also to those who played some of my mods. I think I’ll call it quits on the modding since there is so many other things I do have plans on doing there simply isn’t much choice in it anyway. Another thing I’m not getting much out of it if there isn’t much interest in it to start with. Why bother especially the big jobs if you never hear any comments on it. Nobody said I liked this or I liked that or I didn’t like this or that so in the end is it worth going the trouble creating it? I think not. Once again I’d like to thank everyone here. I sure had some great times. I do apologize for bringing my personal life in at times but folks I’m not well. I’m not happy and often it was y’all the only folks I had to talk to. Must folks don’t come here and spill the beans on their personal life but most folks are basically content with how things are in their life as well. Thanks everybody and be safe.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14635 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers!! yes it's less busy now but I think the glory days have been the past couple of years with me and you putting the modding scene on our backs Very Happy
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I think I’ve contributed some over the years especially in the entertainment compartment. Some of the best mods like the ones you’re doing came out recently but really only a small percentage of the people play the game now compared to yesteryears. It’s a classic so it’s not gonna go away like some games do so that definitely helps but my observations with new people participating here and blah blah blah tells me we ain’t as popular as we once could have been. Not sure what else I could contribute to the game anyway. I did about all I know . We got the East Indies working like it should so really that’s in my opinion about as good of a mod as can be asked for. There are lots of good ideas out there but most modders like myself are limited to what they can do. It would take a team of people all with various skill sets to really make a big hit. Someone to make maps cities and someone to make new characters, pole dancers in the taverns etc. I like it here so I’ve no intentions on leaving straightaway but I may very well not be modding again as I don’t really think the future will provide the necessary time to put in the hours to do a mod. I do see a day I’ll just disappear altogether though I’d rather tell everyone so they don’t wonder what happened to me. If anything keeps me here I’d say it’s the East Indies. Still have the storm’s etc to figure out. It’s not perfect but compared to some of those women I picked up at the local bar in my younger days I’d rate the game a ten and them a 1 especially after sobering up.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14635 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a really epic project like Star Wars or Star Trek (changing the water to black with stars, changing ships to spacecraft, etc) could actually be doable, but would require an insane team effort. We'd need to get a few more motivated folks on board from Reddit, Steam, etc. I direct people here as much as I can but it's more to download stuff rather than help mod.

Some people get intimidated by the hex editing as well, we've had a few people pop up to ask about editing ship characteristics or nation flags, but they disappear pretty quick, lol, it's unfortunate because the hex editing is actually quite intuitive when you get the hang of it.

Shoot me a DM or email sometime, I can't remember what part of the state you're in but I'll probably do a road trip down I-5 at some point again this year or next (gas prices permitting), can grab a coffee if you're near the highway and free that day
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have idea’s that will help the game or might but I don’t feel I’d be the best candidate to do it. I live in Thousand Oaks California by the way feel free to hunt me up and we’ll grab a coffee or something. My idea would be do your own YouTube channel about modding the SMP game. Show people what your doing and fire the game up and show them the results. You can do livestreams to answer peoples questions or interview other modders and they don’t have to be with you as they can join in from their house with a link you provided. That might garner some interest and likely someone who could learn the nifs and animations etc will hope on board because they like the channel and who knows what might happen from there. It’s worth thinking about I’d say. Modding should be a community thing but as anybody can see that’s not really happening that much here it’s more like a shoot the shit forum. People learn better by videos too. Just turn down the boot and let the water out. Describe how to do it on here and somebody would get themselves wet.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14635 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah agreed, I'm leaning towards a couple of videos to showcase our work.

I didn't realize you were so close to the centre of the universe (i.e. Hollywood, California) along with Venice Beach and Santa Monica
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that will work somewhat. Be nice to have video tutorials here like a learning channel rather than just showcasing your own work which there isn’t a thing wrong with it but it has little value to a would be modder but more like a advertisement to download your mods if you see what I’m saying. Nothing wrong with that. I just feel people get a themselves overwhelmed thinking about modding without giving it a good try. Hex editing the executable for instance seems to be a no no for some folks because they don’t think they are smart enough to do it. There is plenty of modders on other games that probably could step in in figure out the best way to mod nifs etc. if we could have video tutorials that might inspire someone to want to contribute their knowledge by posting a video too. Yeah I’m down here amongst all the rich folks beaches nearby malls even Mexico not far. Beaches here are funny. Be hot as hell here outside the city but go to the nearby beaches it’s windy and cooler. I like the beaches in Vietnam and the Philippines better and I know Thailand would be just as good. San Diego is about the best beach experience here I’ve had but it takes awhile to go there.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thinking about a YouTube channel but not sure what I want to do yet. I’d like to do something that attracts a good amount of subscribers so I can monetize it with ads etc maybe sell items too but I don’t know that SMP would be a good choice or not. I know it would be boring if all I did was play the game like other YouTubers do with it. I mean they would want to know all the nuts and bolts the game has and how they could change things like adding all their exs to the Ballroom or build another map. SMP might be better than I think though because my daughter has a YouTube channel with silly Anima stuff and she has at least 4,000 subscribers but she doesn’t have a bank account so she didn’t make any money doing it. I watch allot of YouTube especially Philippine expats. I like the Filipina Pea she has a awesome show and she is highly intelligent and humorous as well.
Guardacostas
Gunner

10041 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides city names what else is fictional?
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s basically the same game as the Caribbean without any landlocked cities to walk too but all cities are used. All nations start out with a even amount of city ownership so it’s no telling where on the map you’re gonna start out at no matter who you pick to sign up with. I tried to rename the cities to authentic sounding names for each nation. I did this by borrowing names that wasn’t actually used in the Caribbean and some are totally fictional coming from imagination especially the Brethren or some names came from other games or movies like the POTC game. Settlements were all renamed too in similar fashion. The missions have authentic sounding names but not in Spanish rather in English using mainly Catholic Church names. All the Indian villages were actually real North American native village names all from the Delaware tribe except for Chillicothe which was a large Shawnee encampment and now a city in Ohio. I tried to be colorful with renaming the ships so don’t be surprised to see some good ones especially in the English and Pirate factions especially the Brethren. The French and Spanish have historical names to just not go overboard with everything . The Indians Canoe’s are named after Indian names like Sitting Bull, Tecumseh, Elizabeth Warren etc. The only flaw is that all canoes in a party appear to all have the same name. That’s not my flaw it’s just the way it is and I don’t know how to fix it or know if it could be fixed or not. It’s still better than the Indians using Spanish names. Just my opinion. All daughters are snazzy so marry the one with the best attitude status as they all pass the not getting kicked out of bed for eating crackers test. Give it a try it won’t hurt nothing and simply delete it if you don’t like it. Won’t hurt my feelings because you don’t have to tell me just delete it. Not sure if anybody has played it or not. What little I played it it seems to be no flaws other than the regular flaws we normally see anyway but that’s not on me either not can I fix them.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I haven’t posted lately but in my defense I have deleted two spammers since my last post so I’m watching y’all. Be good or I’m telling Santa. Ha ha.
fleetp
Boatswain

36041 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pirate, welcome back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 33 of 35

Jump to: