Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Davos historical flags
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardacostas
Gunner

10041 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:18 am    Post subject: Davos historical flags Reply with quote

Davos historical flags in the flags mod section, upper center of page to bring up the hosted mods here at the forum.

Not completely accurate, but colorful. Anyone up for finishing his work?
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flags are easy to make just need images of the flags. What flag is historically accurate. Bare in mind the game starts in 1600 and the last era doesn’t begin until 1680 so that complicates making a one flag per nationality that fits across the whole timeframe. Sometimes it’s better to be colorful and take the game for what it is rather than getting all picky about every inaccuracies the game has and there are many. My opinion I’d worry more on if it’s realistic not to the point that it covers all eras but rather looks nice and looks like something they would have used or even did use at some point in time but not necessarily in every era or any of those eras for that matter. Maybe they had a flag in 1730 you like the looks of. I’d use that and be happy myself but I suppose everyone is different.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo had a historical flag set perhaps that might be what your looking for. You can always mix and match your favorite flags like for example if Davao had one or two nationalities you like then use those and get the others from elsewhere.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer being creative like for example my Portuguese flag is the same exact flag that the Portuguese use today but instead of green and red I used Blue and White which has a much better look than the white flag that comes with the East Indies. I like the Canadian Flag too it’s easy to change to a realistic feeling French flag by changing the Red to Blue and replacing the Maple leaf with a blue flur de lis. Appointing a Brethren Bastard isn’t exactly in my historical readings and education either but in my defense how historical accurate is Walt Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean serious that was such a huge hit? It’s based an myth folklore like Sirins, tridents, ocean monsters, voodoo and fictional places and characters.
corsair91
Sailing Master

206645 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reference Info

Davos

Historical European Flags wanted!
http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=745

EDIT:
seems to have been influenced by the no longer available
Fab Flag Packs

dead piratesahoy links in threads

Fab

Three new graphic mods
http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=925

Pirates!Gold Spanish Flag added to flagpack
http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=979

Last edited by corsair91 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:25 am; edited 6 times in total
Guardacostas
Gunner

10041 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Davos started a flag pack, or at least the one i have on my computer, but didn't finish making all the flags that would replace the box flags that came with the original game. Ships and battle flags are done, but not the ones found in the captains log
corsair91
Sailing Master

206645 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD - make your own sails and flags for your ship

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/mod-make-your-own-sails-and-flags-for-your-ship.332434/

joelwest
Aug 21, 2009.

the recipe for doing this

1)
you first need to identify an appropriate image and crop it so that it is multiple of two along its edges. typically a (not oblong) flag is 256 by 256 pixels (or 256 by 128 if the flag is oblong) and a sail is 512 by 512. these are the sizes expected when your flags and sails are previewed in the "Modify Sails & Flags" part of the game. however the game is smart enough to resize either one of them if you scale up or down, so what you see here is not how either will appear in the game unless you did use the expected dimensions

the source images can be a jpg, gif, etc. I find the freeware program Irfanview handy to do this cropping and resizing,
http://www.irfanview.com/

but you can use any other program that accomplishes the same thing

2)
you need to convert the image to dds format. there is another freeware program called, appropriately enough, DDS Converter.
http://eliteforce2.filefront.com/file/DDS_Converter%3B29412

EDIT: updated link as filefront is now gamefront
https://www.gamefront.com/games/elite-force-2/file/dds-converter-1

Paint.net & Gimp Image Editors have now added DDS support

this program will not work unless the sides of the image in the file to be converted to dds are a power of two (see above). it does a batch conversion (not an instant conversion where you stay inside the program after the conversion is done) of one or many files at once

3)
copy the dds file(s) into the "custom" subfolder under your Pirates directory (such as Pirates\custom)

4a)
for flags, rename a given file "flag_xxxxx.dds" where xxxxx is the name you want for the flag (this filename is in the \custom folder, but is not indicated in the game when you select a flag)

4b)
for sails, rename a given file "ship_sail_emblem_lrg_yyyy.dds" where yyyy is the name you want for the sail (this filename is in the \custom folder, but is not indicated in the game when you select a sail)

256 by 256 is good enough for a sail, so the exact same dds image can be used as both the (not oblong) flag and the sail provided it is renamed using the guidelines above

when you select a flag or sail in the game, the order left to right on the screen is the alphabetical order of the filenames in the \custom directory

sometimes on sails the edges of the image bleed over creating undesirable streaking. in Irfanview to prevent this put a "canvas" of at least 4 pixels on all four sides of the appropriate color to be taken to the edge of the sail. the image must then be resized back to a multiple of a power of two before DDS Converter can convert it to a dds file. if the original image was also used for a flag it is up to you whether to replace that file since either original or the canvased file work fine

when testing a flag or sail in the game sometimes it is necessary to quit the game and restart for the flag or sail to be found

hookedonpirates.com has a good set of sails in the mod section.

View attachment sails & flags.zip
https://forums.civfanatics.com/attachments/sails-flags-zip.225322/

(Historical flags Collection, Davos included, each in folders )

baseball related flags and sails below -

View attachment baseball logos.zip
https://forums.civfanatics.com/attachments/baseball-logos-zip.225323/

-------------------------

civfanatics - Other Sid Meier Games forum
includes what little Pirates Content there is

https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/other-sid-meier-games.533/

Last edited by corsair91 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:29 am; edited 5 times in total
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I see what your saying now. Sorry I didn’t quite know what you meant. At this time I’m not interested in tackling any other projects other than the one I’m on. I’ve been suffering through great bouts of depression due to me not liking my living arrangements here in California with my spouse. I’m still yearning for the Philippines with a girl there and I’m trying to achieve that goal so haven’t totally lost all hope yet. Now I don’t care what anybody else thinks because they don’t know what I’ve gone through in my current situation so just know my own family I was born in supports me because they know my situation. I’m certainly not jumping from woman to woman just because one is younger or prettier than the other or anything of that nature it’s simply because she can’t be the person I need nor can I be the person she needs so I’ll leave it at that. I’m also currently busy with a upcoming surgery and a e-commerce business that is currently in the process of getting built so perhaps later if nobody updates the flags then I’ll take a look at it but for now I better let that pass since I got so much going on.
Guardacostas
Gunner

10041 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear all that. I guess my request goes out to to the rest of the forum... Create a Pirate flag that says "Pirate Christ super star" on it and say this guy deserves his own flag. Or your face with a Philipino woman next to it.

I got physical crap too without getting too into it, just no upcoming surgeries. I was born single, die single so i don't have a spouse but i get problems, believe me.

Your tireless devotion to modding is admirable, second only to your desire to add in suggestions people make, even when guarda gets all OCD about it. And you seem like a very caring father, which are few and far between Evil or Very Mad
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I’m truly sorry I might get around to it later if nobody does. I do appreciate your kind words.
corsair91
Sailing Master

206645 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.speedrun.com/sid_meiers_pirates_2004/resources

Image files for Pirates!
https://www.speedrun.com/resourceasset/e3lp2

Pirates_Image_Files_e3lp2.rar

These are the image files directly extracted from the game.

(unmodded source files)

Last edited by corsair91 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
corsair91
Sailing Master

206645 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardacostas
Gunner

10041 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
Thanks I’m truly sorry I might get around to it later if nobody does. I do appreciate your kind words.

No problem. Maybe someone here can make a "get well soon" flag in your honor. That or a Philipino nurse bending over showing some cleavage and than some. In the least keep us posted
fleetp
Boatswain

36087 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Senna Matsuda. She's not a Filipina nurse, but is bending over

Guardacostas
Gunner

10041 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just perfect. Now to minimize that pic and fit it on a flag for a game that was PG rated to attract younger teenagers to play it. Now us old dogs have control over it, it's a filipina nurse life for me (i'd prefer mexican or even south american. Two different looks, both fitting)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: