Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

New texture I created not showing up in game, need some help
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gopher98
Powder Monkey

166 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: New texture I created not showing up in game, need some help Reply with quote

I created a new texture (or rather edited a bunch of other peoples' creations together) and it will not show up in game. I am taking the face from daug_beau_e2.dds and the dress from daug_attr_d1.dds and pasting it on top of daug_beau_d2.dds but the game is not reading it or something else is going wrong.

Here is a pic of what it looks like: https://imgur.com/a/8GiEMD9

Here's the steps I took in case anyone can point out where I went wrong:
1. Open up the originals in GIMP, do not load mipmaps.
2. Use the free select tool to cut out the pieces, copy them over to the file I am editing, and making it look decent.
3. Export as DDS file, compress to DXT3 and generate mipmaps.
4. Make sure the file name is correct and throw it in the custom folder.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I know to do it is stop by CVS or Walgreens. Most major drugstores carry it but it’s expensive like $200 for a little pack. Now you’ll have to go to the pharmacy counter and ask for it because they don’t keep it on the shelf due to theft and security concerns. Just ask for a pack of Fairy Dust and when you get home sprinkle just a dab on the texture but be careful not to waste to much or you won’t have enough for your next project. Works for ED too. Actually I don’t know what you did but if you saved the texture in dds format and you didn’t have any altha channels behind it making it transparent and you named it correctly then it would work no matter dxt 1, 3 or 5 it would work. Did you put the texture in customs or assets or any folder in the game?
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made several textures myself today. I didn’t know what I was doing either but I did stay at the Holiday Express Inn last night.
corsair91
Sailing Master

206645 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDS files can have transparency (alpha channels) which may give you problems if you paste one DDS file over another

At a Guess
convert to png format first as a scratch format
copies of all the textures you want to work on
(ensure you keep to the texture naming convention)

paste the png texture copies as you required them

convert your finished texture back to DDS

you will need the DXTbmp utility to convert textures

DXTbmp
http://hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8057

Pirate or other modders can probably advise you much better than I
can on all this

----------------------------------

as an alternative

As far I can recall kbob modmaker tool
should have the Beautiful Daughters textures included as png files

ModMaker allows you to create mods easily and quickly from premade clothing and bodyparts. It's a bit like putting new outfits on paper dolls.

You can select a background image similar to the original DDS files for characters in SMP. Then you select which image layers you want to put on top of it. These layers are the clothing and bodyparts that will be superimposed on top of the background image. You can:

select and deselect image layers
rearrange the layers' display order from top to bottom
manipulate the colors of an image layer (hue, saturation, intensity, contrast, brightness)
save an image layer
save the entire visible image, including as a DDS file ready for use in the game

Updated links for kbob modmaker are here:

Mods Preview Pics (updated kbob Mods links)
http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7784

posting links for convenience

kbob modmaker
http://www.hookedonpirates.com/guide/kbob/files/modmaker-0.1.1.zip

Mirror Link
https://sourceforge.net/projects/modmgr/files/ModMaker/0.1.1/modmaker-0.1.1.zip/download

If modmaker required say the msvcr71.Dll
you can find this here

msvcr71.zip
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcr71

place in the modmaker location folder

kbob modmaker Tutorial
http://www.hookedonpirates.com/guide/kbob/files/modmaker/tutorial/

offline Tutorial copy

ModMaker, Step by Step Tutorial.zip
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oDHognrsQ4nBbK5M2ZC9PtKmv7QEitUW/view?usp=sharing

Microsoft Word 2003 format doc file & Adobe Pdf File
offline version of ModMaker Tutorial (adult content)

May need to set run as administrator
in the Shortcut you create to the modmaker tool .exe
compatibility Tab

Pllace the finished DDS file in
\Sid Meier's Pirates!\Custom

where Sid Meier's Pirates! is the game installation folder
(Avoid using program files folder)

Last edited by corsair91 on Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like something blocking it making it transparent otherwise if it wasn’t renamed correctly or wasn’t installed in the game the default texture would appear. You can edit it in any format bmp png jpg it doesn’t matter but what matters is this texture doesn’t require any transparency so nothing but the texture itself should be converted to dds then by golly it will work.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me I’d choose to beat a hasty retreat rather than accepting her invitation.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14646 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe just save over the original (but in a different location, like "custom" or "assets") so it retains anything weird going on with the transparency. I use photoshop so if it has 1 locked layer named "background", I'll paste the new stuff onto that and save it like that, if it's an unlocked layer named "layer_0", like that (generating the mipmaps as well, at least if the original loaded with that option).
gopher98
Powder Monkey

166 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking through all the suggestions and trying to make it work. As far as I can tell, I have done everything correctly as suggested (correct file names and locations, converting to png first and then to dds after editing, etc.). I've looked at the different channels on textures that are working correctly and everything seems to match up, so I have no clue what's happening. I am going to try to make it work with kbob's modmaker and I'll post back here with the results.
fleetp
Boatswain

36087 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopher98 wrote:
Looking through all the suggestions and trying to make it work. As far as I can tell, I have done everything correctly as suggested (correct file names and locations, converting to png first and then to dds after editing, etc.). I've looked at the different channels on textures that are working correctly and everything seems to match up, so I have no clue what's happening. I am going to try to make it work with kbob's modmaker and I'll post back here with the results.

According to a note I wrote to myself, both of the beautiful English daughters use the wide face nif.
Both of the beautiful Dutch daughter use the narrow face nif.
That might or might not have something to do with the problem.

Is the file you created 512 by 512 pixels (or 1024 by 1024pixels)? If the file is not in that ratio that also might be part of the problem.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14646 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe post your modified DDS files with a filesharing service and we can take a look and see if anything stands out
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the beautiful daughters 1 are thin face including the English and the wide face are the number 2’s and it’s like that with the attractive and plain. Even if it was the wrong texture it would still show up on the nif. Main difference in the wide and then face is gonna be the animation more than anything else but even if you used Blackbeard’s texture it wouldn’t cover the nif correctly but it will wrap around her form in some weird ugly way but when you see nothing then it’s corrupted somehow. It most be in dds format if not his default texture would be showing up instead so they must be something wrong with it. I don’t use gimp and it’s plug ins so I don’t know if that’s the issue. The mod maker I have used before with no issues. It’s either not saving the texture correctly in dds or it’s got a texture behind it transparenting it out.
gopher98
Powder Monkey

166 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themodelcitizen wrote:
Maybe post your modified DDS files with a filesharing service and we can take a look and see if anything stands out

Link is below for anyone who would be willing to take a look at it.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/0aw7rvspcynft/custom

Pirate wrote:
All the beautiful daughters 1 are thin face including the English and the wide face are the number 2’s and it’s like that with the attractive and plain. Even if it was the wrong texture it would still show up on the nif. Main difference in the wide and then face is gonna be the animation more than anything else but even if you used Blackbeard’s texture it wouldn’t cover the nif correctly but it will wrap around her form in some weird ugly way but when you see nothing then it’s corrupted somehow. It most be in dds format if not his default texture would be showing up instead so they must be something wrong with it. I don’t use gimp and it’s plug ins so I don’t know if that’s the issue. The mod maker I have used before with no issues. It’s either not saving the texture correctly in dds or it’s got a texture behind it transparenting it out.

Yeah, the weird thing is I had it working previously, I just had to start over as I didn't know what I was doing and accidentally misaligned the texture. I followed all the same steps and now it doesn't work. I don't see any other layers in the dds, so I'm not sure what could be causing it.
corsair91
Sailing Master

206645 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mediafire hosted file is

daug_beau_d2.dds
File size: 5.39MB
2056 x2060 x24 BPP
compression DXT5

In comparison the original game texture is

PAK4
daug_beau_d2.dds
File size: 171 KB
512x 512 x 24 BPP
Compression DXT1

as a comparison
The pirates HD mod on nexusmods

daug_beau_d2.dds
File size: 2.00 MB
2048 x 2048 x 24 BPP
Compression DXT1
gopher98
Powder Monkey

166 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corsair91 wrote:
mediafire hosted file is

daug_beau_d2.dds
File size: 5.39MB
2056 x2060 x24 BPP
compression DXT5

In comparison the original game texture is

PAK4
daug_beau_d2.dds
File size: 171 KB
512x 512 x 24 BPP
Compression DXT1

as a comparison
The pirates HD mod on nexusmods

daug_beau_d2.dds
File size: 2.00 MB
2048 x 2048 x 24 BPP
Compression DXT1

Huh, that's weird. I edited the hd mod's files and I didn't mess with any scaling or change the resolution. Not sure how it changed. But that might be the culprit.
gopher98
Powder Monkey

166 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixing the resolution did it. Unfortunately my texture just looks bad lmao. Thanks all for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: