Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

(Release) Pirates: Storm over Europe
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Reserved for Game MODS Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14635 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: (Release) Pirates: Storm over Europe Reply with quote

Plunder shipping between the four great nations, influence historical territorial disputes, or serve your chosen regent by repelling pirate attacks and Barbary raids.

Credit, of course, to jlangsdo's map-making tools (build your own custom map!). Thanks to Pirate for some graphic work.

Click here --> DOWNLOAD (please upvote on Steam, reddit, and Nexus)

Instructions:

Place the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Pirates!

The contents of the "custom" and "assets" folders should be pasted over the existing ones, if present.

Do I need the new Pirates executable? My virus scan flags the file.
Yes, certain essential changes are only possible by modifying the exe, but there's certainly no malware or anything that can hurt your computer - back up your existing exe first.

The "useless items" and slower aging mods are on. Works best in windowed mode. If using Phalzyr's trainer, start it as an administrator and switch the "version" to Steam 1.02 before starting Pirates!

Last edited by themodelcitizen on Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:01 am; edited 34 times in total
Guardacostas
Gunner

10041 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOoking very good
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it. Pretty cool. I'm also trying to learn to fence without a numpad, so that was very challenging. I failed to map all of the dancing keys, so I stumbled all over the dance floor too. Speaking of challenges, I noticed the effect of the Challenge items. Friendly Jesuit Mission indeed, he gave me nothing! I'm also impressed with your changes to the starting text.

Some things you might want to work on:

Initial main menu background still shows Caribbean.

I saw a ship sailing through the woods near Portsmouth.

I got stuck in the shallow waters near Bilbao.

The caribbean*.bmp map scale seems a little off; Gran Canare is physically right on an island, but on the map it looks off. Also, I couldn't click on Gran Canare on the most zoomed out map, it is so far south it hits the menu bar.

Perhaps move Dublin a hair to the east, to get it out of the woods?

The loadsavemap.dds cuts off on the east side in a funny way, perhaps you could figure out how to extend it to show more of Europe.

I didn't see any Corsair villages, just one Corsair Galley. You might consider switching Corsairs to Basques.

I did find a pirate treasure. Could you change the landmarks? You could walk by Obelisks, Cathedrals, Waterfalls, who knows?
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Paris is in the wrong place.

Part of what makes this map so exciting is learning geography. I've read about a lot of these cities, but never visited them - and certainly not by sailing ship. I'd rather not learn incorrectly that Paris is on the coast.

Perhaps you could carve out some deep rivers with GIMP so we could sail up the Seine.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did download it. Bad news is I’m at the bookstore now instead of on the laptop.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14635 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlangsdo wrote:
Initial main menu background still shows Caribbean.

I saw a ship sailing through the woods near Portsmouth.

I got stuck in the shallow waters near Bilbao.

Thanks! This is the kind of testing I needed.

Menu screen changes are coming. Re: the ship in the woods, damn, I wonder if the game spawned a settlement inland somewhere, I can keep playing with world.bmp to try and get rid of the tiny little lakes that pop up.

I'll carve some space out near Bilbao, I covered most of those areas (like making the Dutch coast navigable) but missed that one.

Quote:
The caribbean*.bmp map scale seems a little off; Gran Canare is physically right on an island, but on the map it looks off. Also, I couldn't click on Gran Canare on the most zoomed out map, it is so far south it hits the menu bar.

This happens in the OG game too, just take a look at the Spanish Main (or my Oran and Casablanca), cities are slightly off when it gets that far south. Gran Canaria is so far south that the problem is amplified, but given it's an island it will be an easy fix.

Quote:
I didn't see any Corsair villages, just one Corsair Galley. You might consider switching Corsairs to Basques.

They are present, and the most realistic places would be in Africa, but you can also imagine Barbary pirates setting up a temporary outpost on whatever coastal area they were nearby. I know Basques were seafarers, but were they known to raid coastal settlements? They were mostly under Spain at the time (and we have Bilbao as a port).

Quote:
I did find a pirate treasure. Could you change the landmarks? You could walk by Obelisks, Cathedrals, Waterfalls, who knows?

Fantastic, I'm glad the pirate treasure worked. Changing the landmarks are a great idea, and the lost cities.

jlangsdo wrote:
Also, Paris is in the wrong place.

Paris and London are at the approximate mouths of the Thames and Seine, representing how ancient ships would sail up the river (i.e. viking raids on Paris). Seville is the same. In an earlier draft, I carved out some rivers but it just looked odd. Worth playing around with though, you're right, I'd prefer if everything was consistently in the right place.

Last edited by themodelcitizen on Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was thinking Paris should be closer to London then what the map on the screen shown.
corsair91
Sailing Master

210870 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themodelcitizen
Gunner

14635 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlangsdo wrote:
The loadsavemap.dds cuts off on the east side in a funny way, perhaps you could figure out how to extend it to show more of Europe.

I just fixed this in caribbeanmap 2 through 6, along with pirateinfo and loadsavemap, which was also stretched weirdly (check your make_world thread - I think loadsave gets stretched because your script doesn't account for the big blank space on the LEFT of the original caribbeanmap).

Really I just ran the scripts again with the NOAA map shifted to the right (albeit with the same height) and while I scrapped most of what came out of it, I copied the relevant section of eastern Europe from the generated caribbeanmap6 and pasted it over the right side. Then I scaled down for the other maps.

I also fixed the issue with Gran Canaria. Download link in OP is updated.

Eventually I may add some lines, a compass, a burnished look, or even the same map background as the original game like I did with the East Indies, but that's a lot of work and can wait for now.

I really appreciate the testing and feedback! Next big set of changes will be city attributes.
fleetp
Boatswain

36050 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played it for about thirty minutes before getting distracted by real life. Looks great!
I had a bit if trouble sailing through the Straits of Gibraltar, but got thru on the second try.

If you move Paris inland it could be a landlocked city like Gran Granada in the original game.
I'd really prefer that you gave your current Paris a different name and leaving it on the coast.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14635 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleetp wrote:
I played it for about thirty minutes before getting distracted by real life. Looks great!
I had a bit if trouble sailing through the Straits of Gibraltar, but got thru on the second try.

If you move Paris inland it could be a landlocked city like Gran Granada in the original game.
I'd really prefer that you gave your current Paris a different name and leaving it on the coast.

Thanks! I could call it "Normandy", which the French king let the Viking chief Rollo establish in the 10th century, to a) keep them from Paris, and b) make it much harder for OTHER vikings to sail upriver. I'll think of a solution that works.

A landlocked city could work, same for Milan and Madrid/Castile. It's just the landlocked cities feel like a waste of a slot, they never get immigrants, pirate attacks etc, and obviously don't feed the maritime economy themselves
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This happens in the OG game too, just take a look at the Spanish Main (or my Oran and Casablanca), cities are slightly off when it gets that far south. Gran Canaria is so far south that the problem is amplified, but given it's an island it will be an easy fix.

That's hilarious. The scaling in make_world.pl comes from tuning how to scale piratemap.dta to make it land on caribbeanmap.bmp; if the OG one is wrong, the script is just reproducing the error! What you have done is the right way to tune the scaling - place a city on an island and then scale the caribbeanmap to make them coincide.

Quote:

They are present, and the most realistic places would be in Africa, but you can also imagine Barbary pirates setting up a temporary outpost on whatever coastal area they were nearby. I know Basques were seafarers, but were they known to raid coastal settlements? They were mostly under Spain at the time (and we have Bilbao as a port).

I don't really think of the OG Indians as primarily raiders. They are just simple people that I take advantage of in my piratey way. After a little trading, I try to convince them to attack nearby cities, not because the colonists are weak and corrupt, but so I can destroy the Indians on their way and gain respect from all 4 nations at once. In battle, their war canoes are always fleeing my ship, never trying to board.

What if the war canoes were actually "fishing vessels" and the chief's question was, which nearby city has a large cod population? And if the vessels go there, the message could be that they fished out the area around such and such a city, and now the economy is going down?

Maybe for another map. Also, if they are fishing vessels, they shouldn't hold any cannon at all. Smile

However, I think the game has a limitation (somewhere in the executable) that refuses to place villages and settlements in the NW of the map, since there are no cities there in the OG game. If that's the case, then your choice of Barbary Pirates makes more sense. The Basques were more active in the Atlantic (fishing for cod as far as North America during the Pirates! timeframe).
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14635 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love ideas like that to reshape certain aspects of the game. I'm still thinking of a viking mod where I disable cannons and try to turn everything into pinnaces/barques.

I have actually seen settlements in the northwest on the East Indies mod, with one between Bombay and Goa, one on the southwest or southern coasts, and one or two on Sri Lanka.

They're less common on the Coromandel Coast, which is why I added Madras and Pondicherry, but they crop up again after Masulipatnam to the northeast.

EDIT: Updated the download link with new menu screens, city attributes, and a fun update changing the treasure fleet to the Spanish Armada - whose odd journey around Britain is reflected with their starting and end points near Orkney.

The upriver ports of London/Paris/Seville have been adjusted to Chatham/Le Havre/Cadiz - the latter all had significant maritime history themselves and are actually on the coast. It's also difficult to reflect the massive populations and influence the former three cities actually had.
corsair91
Sailing Master

210870 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI

Current modern thinking is that the Spanish Armada at the time of the first Armada were probably then unaware of the eastward flowing Gulf Stream Current in Irish Waters.

They thought they had sailed sufficiently West to round Ireland
when they actually hadn't, using dead reckoning navigation
and bad navigation charts.
They were badly wrong in where they thought they were
as actually much closer to the coast.
The Current then dashed some Ships against the rocks on the coast
(lee shore)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Stream

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Armada_in_Ireland

Lee shore
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_shore

Last edited by corsair91 on Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14635 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's where the Armada ships come into play from now. As for Chatham/Medway, Le Havre, and Cadiz, all three were demonstrated as important seaports in the 17th century and seem to fit as replacements for the upriver ports.

Also getting the hang of maplabel...

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Reserved for Game MODS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum