Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

INSTALLING/CHANGING MODS
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14635 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:33 am    Post subject: INSTALLING/CHANGING MODS Reply with quote

Changing from one mod to another, or back to the default game, is definitely not as easy as it should be. In a worst-case scenario, backing up your saved games and reinstalling will do the trick.

Executable

If the mod has a replacement Pirates! executable (for more extensive changes), it goes in your equivalent folder to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Pirates!

Backup the original one, or just keep it with a different name - i.e. keep the the default game executable and then use another one named something like "Pirates! Storm Over Europe".

Whichever exe you're actually using will need to match up with the files in "custom" and "assets" subfolders.

Custom

Back up the contents here first, if its not too late.

The AI uses flag_eng, flag_dut, flag_fre, and flag_spa, so they should always be present in some form. Any further file starting with flag_ will be an option for the user (same with ship_sail_emblem_ files).

Assets

There are default folders "Sounds", "Interface", "Shaders", and "Bink". You should also always keep the files Pak0 through Pak8.FPK, lang0.fpk, and ps9e8C,tmp, if you have it. They are likely too large to back up, but most mods won't touch them.

Everything else can be backed up and replaced when changing mods. Some files like text.ini are required and are usually included in the mod.

Many of these can also be stored in "custom", but some of the flag files need to go in assets.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation - if I'm missing anything let me know.

Last edited by themodelcitizen on Mon May 30, 2022 3:17 pm; edited 6 times in total
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s basically easy to swap mods. A couple things to remember is first copy and past someplace on your hard drive the original custom folder with the ship flags and sails and copy the executable in case it gets overwritten with another copy. Make a new folder in your Assets and call it Mods or East Indies or Europe or Mars then dump all mods in that except the ship sail emblem and flags. Those go in customs. Remember you already made a copy of the original and stowed it away so replace the ship flags and sail emblems with the modified versions. For the executable I prefer renaming the modified version to East Indies, African Coast etc. and dropping than it my game folder and making a shortcut on the desktop if u prefer. That way you won’t overwrite the original in the first place. To uninstall simply delete the Mars folder with all it’s bikini alien mods the delete your custom folder then go copy and paste your original customs back in. Replace the original executable back over the modified one or just delete the modified executable if you renamed it so it didn’t overwrite the original. It’s real easy I mean if u can hold a job down or made it past second grade you should be able to do this fairly fast.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14635 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!! African_Coast.exe? Working on something new? Smile
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I’m working on something new and have been for some time then I get busted and have to start over by scratch again. One of these days I’ll end up with new. Philippines opening for tourism February 10. Need passport with at least 6 months validity pcr test within 48 hours of boarding and proof of being fully vaccinated and that doesn’t include booster shots so that’s not necessary just being fully vaccinated with the two shots or one depending on the vaccine you took. I think you need self quarantine for 48 hours then retest but if it’s self quarantine I don’t know how strict they are on enforcing that since your expected to do it yourself instead of having proof of a hotel for the days in quarantine.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14635 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You planning any travel this summer? I got away for a couple weeks to Italy, I was surprised how easy it was to travel around. The airline was the biggest hurdle, they just needed proof of vaccination or a negative test
corsair91
Sailing Master

210629 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI

Certain Countries insist you have at least 6 months left
to go on your passport before it expires when you travel,
and can refuse entry because of this.
You may get lucky with only a warning.

(so they have enough time to deport you if needed.
Originating countries can refuse to accept you back
if deported, if there is no time left on the passport
as no longer valid.
you have to then apply to the embassy in that foreign
country for a new passport while stuck in the airport.)

Always check on your passport expiry date before travelling
and allow 6 months plus enough to allow for passport renewal
processing time.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could travel I’d already be gone. Folks here are planning on Florida this summer. I’m not going with them. Doesn’t seem right living in a family of in-laws calling the shots and me going along for the ride. I’d say the hell with that shit. Wife can’t go anywhere without her parents so it’s not like I’ve a family of my own but more like the pet dog or something of that nature. I’m aware of the 6 month passport validity required by most countries. I need to renew mine just expired. My wife did have it hidden under the bed mattress but I found it and hid it in the car. When I can go I’m going and I’m not looking back. Philippines I think require the one health pass with a Covid test within 48 hour’s before departure. 6 month at least on passport and Insurance that covers Covid and a throw away ticket unless your really planing on leaving the country but either way you need a ticket leaving the country to enter regardless if your planning a extension or not. It has to be within 30 days after your arrival in the Philippines. Thailand is wide open now but still requires visa runs or leaving the country and coming back in every month so that part sucks.
JürgenJuggernaut
Powder Monkey

285 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I was wondering for .exe mods how do they work? If we have 2 .exe mods we have to pick one or the other? (or can we extract them).

For example "The challenger pack" and "big cities" mods that both are .exe. What do I do, to have them both?
Guardacostas
Gunner

10041 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JürgenJuggernaut wrote:
Hi all, I was wondering for .exe mods how do they work? If we have 2 .exe mods we have to pick one or the other? (or can we extract them).

For example "The challenger pack" and "big cities" mods that both are .exe. What do I do, to have them both?

They have to be merged into one exe. the big cities mod has most of the challenger pack allready installed
JürgenJuggernaut
Powder Monkey

285 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardacostas wrote:
JürgenJuggernaut wrote:

They have to be merged into one exe. the big cities mod has most of the challenger pack allready installed

Thanks thats actually good to know, and sorry for asking. Im having a hard time navygating throw this site :v. Mostly due a lot of reading.

If I had to merge exes who would I do it?

Which features of "the challenger pack" it doesnt have? Also I tryed to use a mod from nexus that "fixed" and added cities but my game crashed any ideas why, also do I need to start another play or can I play in my current save?
Guardacostas
Gunner

10041 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate may not mind merging exes for you. Heres a link of the challenge pack on what's included or not with the Larger Cities mod http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=102209#102209
JürgenJuggernaut
Powder Monkey

285 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardacostas wrote:
Pirate may not mind merging exes for you. Heres a link of the challenge pack on what's included or not with the Larger Cities mod http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=102209#102209

Thank you, I can live without iron man mode and canons :v
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14635 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You generate a new .exe with the challenge pack, but you can't do that with most of the mods because it's already been modified so extensively (including with some stuff from the challenge pack already included).

Like, the extra cities mod (Bermuda, Guayana etc) has some features from the challenge pack already, I can't remember which exactly but check the thread, it says in there.

Last edited by themodelcitizen on Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I merged mine to get both features was I went to CVS and asked for a jar of fairy dust from the clerk behind the counter where you get prescriptions filled. Warning they are typically out of stock. Then add just a pinch of dust to one executable then drag and merge it right into the other. If no fairy dust then you will need to spit out a executable from the challenge pack with whatever add ons you like then add the larger cities by with a hex editor. In other words you don’t merge them you make them.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. I’ve accidentally posted the same message twice a few times but not three. Would you like me to delete a couple of them for ya The Modal Citizen?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: