Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

What's the point?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MariusII
Powder Monkey

177 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: What's the point? Reply with quote

I'm new to this game and just wanted to know what the point
of engaging in sea combat is? Why blast away at an enemy
ship and risk taking damage yourself when once you've got
a decent understanding of swordplay you can just ram the
vessel you want to capture and defeat the enemy captain
in a swordfight.

Am I missing something?
Sundog
Swabbie

467 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: What's the point? Reply with quote

MariusII wrote:
I'm new to this game and just wanted to know what the point
of engaging in sea combat is? Why blast away at an enemy
ship and risk taking damage yourself when once you've got
a decent understanding of swordplay you can just ram the
vessel you want to capture and defeat the enemy captain
in a swordfight.

Am I missing something?

It's fun firing broadsides and sinking ships...
Civrules
Cutthroat

4032 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is all about fun. If it wasn't, it wouldn't have been included. Smile
MariusII
Powder Monkey

177 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So apart from fun value there is no advantage?

Does it make it easier to capture an enemy ship
if you've damaged it with cannon first?
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The duel will be easier if you bombard the enemy ship enough to kill off some of its crew. The number of men on your side vs. the enemy crew affects the difficulty of the duel (your morale and that of the enemy captain depend on the number of men fighting for him).

If you want a really easy duel, use the grape shots to get the enemy ship's crew to 1 and attack only then. Even on harder difficulty levels this makes it very easy to beat Montalban and the other evil fellas, since you need only one strike to make them give up.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it, I think this topic should be in Hints and Strategies, so there it goes...
MariusII
Powder Monkey

177 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I've never noticed the crew values going down
on the enemy ship during a battle, I'll have to pay more attention.
BlueDEvil
Seaman

818 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gun values also go down. This only work if use round shot. If you want to get rid of more crew without hurting the ship much, use grape shot. I think they should put a big red X over the type of shot your ship don't have. If you attack near obstacles or beach, you almost need not worry as the enemy always run their ship aground, making easier for you to board. Straight forward boarding only works for easy levels. AI is pretty sucks in those scenarios. Why? Because they want to take advantage of the wind and sail onto land.
uly
Powder Monkey

783 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, bombarding in advance does make the duel easier. Still, up to rogue level dueling is still easier than sea battle. With decent dueling skill you can easily finish a duel before you lose much sailor, not to mention that more sailors are likely to join you if you didn't kill them off to begin with. Only on swashbucklers are dueling risky enough to justify spending time on sea battle, but by then sea battles are just as challenging.

Of course, whatever you bomb off on the enemy ship you pay for when you repair or sell it, not a good deal. On the other hand, hiring and losing crew doesn't cost any money, and losing crew actually increase their happiness. Sadistic bunch. Furthermore, when you're faced with multiple opponents, you're in a worse position as the enemy can attack you from multiple angles, whereas if you board a ship, another opponent is effectively rendered inactive for the duration.

So, yes, manuvering in sea battles is fun. But strategically and numerically speaking, I'd say that there's very little merit in spending any effort in sea battle.
davekersh
Powder Monkey

15 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sea battles more than the dueling. If you damage the ship and crew enough, they can just give up instead of dueling. I think that can be worth it. I make it a point to always start on the side of the opponent where I will not go against the wind to reach him, mostly east of them I guess.
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another factor is your health - dueling seems to lower your health a lot on higher levels so you need to be a bit careful.

Sea battles take a little skill to get the hang of, but it is very worth it for the tougher opponents
uly
Powder Monkey

783 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryce777 wrote:
Another factor is your health - dueling seems to lower your health a lot on higher levels so you need to be a bit careful.

As someone has pointed out somewhere, this duel-affects-health theory is more of a myth than fact. Until someone has done conclusive test to prove it, I don't think it's worth buying into. From my personal experience, at least, taking hits in duels certainly does not worsen your health.
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uly wrote:
bryce777 wrote:

As someone has pointed out somewhere, this duel-affects-health theory is more of a myth than fact. Until someone has done conclusive test to prove it, I don't think it's worth buying into. From my personal experience, at least, taking hits in duels certainly does not worsen your health.

Well, the medicine and the cuirass descriptions would seem to indicate this.
BlueDEvil
Seaman

818 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Losing battles, spending time in a cell, getting dump, all these upsetting event can sure give you an ulcer to remember them by. Not sure if taking hits affect the heatlh, but I think the outcome from the battle affects your health. Loser always suffer the consequences.
Microwavegerbil
Seaman

3502 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good reason to fight sea battles is to try and slow the enemy down enough so you can actually catch them. On harder difficulty levels you can't just charge a ship's broadside without dire consequences. You definitely need maneuver close enough to hit em with a chain shot board the enemy ship before they can get a broadside at you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: