Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Problems with Col. Mendoza
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigchief
Seaman

5304 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Problems with Col. Mendoza Reply with quote

In my last game, I was courting a girl from Campeche and got to the point where she was kidnapped by Colonel Mendoza. I was told he was in Santiago. I started sailing that direction. I stopped in the Florida Keys and was told that he was on his way from Santiago to St. Augastine. I traveled to St. Augs and was relieved that I had beaten him there, and wouldn't have to chase him. The bartender told me that he had set sail from Santiago 142 days ago. I circled around out in front of St. Augs, did figure eights, killed any pirates and indians that came along, and kept checking in to see if he was still coming, or if by some strange chance I had missed him. Time just kept passing and no sign of him at all. I finally gave up after it was over 2 years time since he left Santiago. The bartender still said he was on the way, so I know I didn't miss him. I guess he and my girlfriend parished at sea. Since it was late in my career, and I had wasted over 2 years, I just quit the game and started a new one.

In my new game, I got to that point again. I was courting a girl in Villa Hermosa this time. I was told that he was in Maricabo. I sailed up and out of the Yucatan hole, and stopped by Havana to see if he was on the move. They told me that he was headed from Maricabo to Santiago. I quickly (as quickly as you can sail east) headed for Santiago. When I arrived at Santiago, they didn't have anything to say about him. I sailed out of port and back in several times and got no information about him. I then noticed that he was no longer in my quests bar at the top of the screen. I went to one of the missions, hoping the abbot would have some info, but had no luck there. I then went to Port Royal, and still couldn't get any info. I had to sail all the way back to Villa Hermosa and talk to the governor again to get back on the quest. I finally found him, but once again, I wasted nearly 2 years of my short career trying to find this guy.

I have never had any problems with him before, so I don't know what is happening.

I am fed up with all this chasing around. If you are chasing them, it only takes them about 2 days to get from one side of the map to the other, and if you get somewhere ahead of them, it takes them 2 years to show up. You can capture the Baron near Vera Cruz, and 2 days later, when you get into port in Vera Cruz, you find out he is in Trinidad. Not only can he teleport, but somehow he can come up with a fully rigged boat and a full crew.

I haven't ever used a trainer or cheat mode for a game, but if these guys can magically teleport from one side of the map to the other, I think I am going to have to do it, too.
BlueDEvil
Seaman

818 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you should have done if you reach there before him, is to sail towards his original port. This way you can spot him sailing towards you.
Niedzwiedz
Swabbie

1236 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes if you pop in to a nearby village or pirate haven and ask the bar keep he will tell you that they are currently hiding out there. Leave, sail back to the town and you should catch him sailing away for his new destination.
bigchief
Seaman

5304 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did both of those things mentioned in the two posts above. There was a pirate haven just south of St. Agus. I went in there a couple of times while waiting. I sailed around all the way down to near the Florida Keys and then east of there and then back up to St. Augs. I didn't want to get too far away from St. Augs because of all the small islands to the east. There was no telling which direction the AI would try to pass through those.
BlueDEvil
Seaman

818 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to switch to forward view now and then, because sometime you might spot his ship over the horizon. This what I usually do. One time I found him, but I had to sailed many leagues before I manage to catch with him. His galleon seem to navigate very fast.
Microwavegerbil
Seaman

3502 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this has happened to me as well. It's frustrating to sail all the way from St. Kitts to Campeche, only to find out the other captain has sailed double-time to Maracaibo. Of course, if you beat them to Maracaibo you always end up with your problem in that they will take years to get there.
BlueDEvil
Seaman

818 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are using a sloop with navigator on board and follow the storm, I doubt you can catch him. I notice his galleon is the fastest I come across. The worst part is I spotted him, but I took me days before I manage to catch with him. So it would be advantage to start from the destination point and work backwards. This way, you always end up head-on with him, nowhere to run or hide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: